How To Negotiate an Injury Claim with Liberty Mutual Insurance | Colorado Springs Injury Lawyers
Call (800) 863-5312 to Speak with a Colorado Springs Injury Lawyer for Free
If you or a loved one was injured in an auto accident in Colorado Springs and the other driver is insured by Liberty Mutual Insurance Company, there are a few things you should be aware of when negotiating with the claims adjuster from Liberty Mutual.
Showing that you have a strong case to Liberty Mutual’s adjusters and claims representatives will increase their motivation to award you with a just settlement. Insurance companies know they have the upper hand in negotiations, but you have to know how to turn them in your favor.
Call Zinda Law Group today at (800) 863-5312 for a free consultation with a skilled personal injury lawyer in Colorado Springs.
What to Expect in a Negotiation
By using the following actions, you will strengthen your negotiating position and prove to Liberty Mutual that you have a strong case.
- Make sure you have all of the reports written by any law enforcement agency that responded to and investigated the accident. You can obtain the reports through a public records request. You should also make a public records request for any 911 calls made to authorities reporting the accident. Ask for the computer-aided dispatch log as well. These items contain significant amounts of information and could lead to witnesses and evidence that you did not know existed;
- Take photographs of injuries, vehicle damage, and the accident scene or area in which the accident occurred, if it is safe to do so;
- Compile all of your medical bills and incidental costs from the accident such as lost wages and lost economic opportunity, repair and replacement costs for your car, damages for pain and suffering, as well as other damages you should include in your claim; and
- Have a report from your doctor describing your injuries. Ask your doctor to include in your report a prognosis of your injuries, whether you are fully or partially disabled, all that can be attributed to the crash. You might have to pay your doctor a fee for writing this report, but the expense is usually well worth it.
You will know your case better than the insurance adjuster. The adjuster should have all of the records, your medical bills, and doctors’ reports before you demand a settlement. However, having all of the information does not equate to the adjuster knowing it inside and out like you should. Keep these ideas in mind when negotiating:
- Be prepared. Read and understand every document. Do not pick up the phone if you are unprepared;
- Establish your parameters beforehand. Know the minimum figure for which you will settle before you make a demand;
- Believe in your claim. The adjuster will try to blame you for the accident and argue you were not driving safely or were otherwise negligent and contributed to the incident. Be ready to counter the adjuster’s argument with facts from your crash. Also, be prepared to hear the adjuster try to get you to back off of your demand amount. They will try different tactics in addition to claiming you were at fault like arguing you aggravated pre-existing injuries and therefore the pain you feel is not from the auto crash but some event that preceded the crash; and
- It is permissible to send a demand that is higher than you would settle for but be reasonable. Do not make an excessive claim. Liberty Mutual will know what your claim is roughly worth. Demanding a settlement that is enormous and that far exceeds the evidence undermines your credibility and shows you are unreasonable. The insurance companies will be less likely to negotiate with someone who has unjustified expectations.
Get Help from Experienced Colorado Springs Injury Attorneys
The best negotiation tactic you can use is to turn to a knowledgeable injury attorney for help. At Zinda Law Group, our Colorado Springs auto injury attorneys have experience representing auto accident victims and their families. Our Colorado Springs attorneys will provide you legal advice while working diligently to try to reach a fair and just resolution of your claim.
Call us today at (800) 863-5312 for a free consultation with one of our skilled injury lawyers in Colorado Springs. Meetings with attorneys are available by appointment only.